Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Look Before You Buy

Today I went to Walgreens to purchase some stocking stuffers and candy for Matt's class. While I was shopping, I noticed a sign that said if you spend $25, you will receive $5 Register Reward. I wasn't too concerned about this because I didn't think I was going to spend that much.

Of course, when everything rang up and the coupons were subtracted I spent $24.01. I asked the lady if I could grab one more item, but when I turned around, the line was quite long. Feeling five pairs of eyeballs glaring at me, I frantically scanned the counter shelf for anything of use. Amidst the mini bottles of energy drinks, cigarette lighters, and travel meds, I see a bottle of hand sanitizer. I didn't really need it but it made the most sense. So I grabbed it and finished my transaction.

Once home I was scanning my receipt and noticed the price of the hand sanitizer, $2.99!! That kind of defeated the purpose of trying to save money. You can imagine how thrilled I was to realize that I had spent $3 on a bottle of hand sanitizer that I really did not need. To make matters worse, when I pulled the bottle of sanitizer out of the bag, it was used. About a quarter of the gel was missing! I think it was the desk sanitizer and someone mistakenly placed it on the shelf.

I felt like an absolute genius at that moment.

Not!

I went back to Walgreens and explained my problem. I showed the used bottle of sanitizer and explained why I purchased it. I also told them I really did not need the sanitizer and asked if I could exchange it for something that I really needed. Thankfully, they said yes.

This time I knew exactly what I needed to buy and I made sure it wasn't half empty.

Toilet bowl cleaner!

No comments: