Monday, April 12, 2010

Caking

The day after Matt's birthday party I started a Wilton cake decorating class; course 1 to be exact. Perfect timing right? I can finally scratch this off my bucket list because I have been wanting to take one for the past 5 years.


The class was great and I highly recommend it. If for no other reason, just to learn how to properly ice a cake. That lesson changed my world! Anyways, here are some of my creations.

The Cookie Monster cake was my first class cake. We practiced the star tip application and how to make zig zags. The cake looks alright but it tasted awful. I used a dressed up box recipe and it came out very chewy. I had no idea a cake could be chewy...

The bottom cake was our second and last creation. I am so proud of this cake because it really looked like a bakery cake. The icing was completely smooth and look at the cute shells. Also, I managed to create four roses for the top. This was a huge accomplishment because I could not make one the week before. They may not look great, but they did look like a flower.

Finally, my first creation after the course. Ahem...notice anything wrong? Aside from being lopsided and over decorated. I forgot to cross the "t"!! No one noticed or disclosed this info to me until today on facebook, lol!! Oops. I made this for my sis-in-law on Friday. It might be pitiful looking but it was tasty! Richard said it was the best cake he ever ate; I tried a different batter and icing recipe.

All in all it has been a great experience and I am now addicted to cake decorating. There is one slight problem with my new hobby, the CALORIES!!

1 comment:

Suzy J said...

these look great!!!! I did not notice the lopy cake.. it looked really good. The cookie monster looked good too! And your yellow roses looked like roses to me! And you don't have to worry about the calories... you just make the cakes for everyone else! See the easiest way to look skinnier is to make those around you plumper! :-) Missed you in blog world!