Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Food and Thoughts

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is in two days! It seems like the school year just started. Tonight I got a jump on my cooking and made Paula Dean's green bean casserole and broccoli casserole. Tomorrow I am going to try her recipe for Ritz Cracker Pie. (I am known in my family for being the "weird" cook, so I couldn't let them down; especially my brother-in-law. ) I am also making the cranberry sauce, no jiggly can stuff for this girl, and maybe a red velvet cake. I know red velvet is more of a Christmas treat but I wanted to try out a recipe to use for cake balls.

We are spending Thanksgiving with Richard's family and my mom flew to Minnesota to be with my brother and sister-in-law. It's hard to believe that my mom flew across the country all by herself because six years ago, Richard and I spent Thanksgiving at Baylor Hospital in Dallas while she recovered from major heart surgery. When she went into surgery, she was so sick that we were not even sure if she would pull through. I am so thankful God decided to let her!

Oh, side note on the green bean recipe. If you fry a couple of strips of bacon in the beginning, then saute your onions and mushrooms in the grease. It is delish! Make sure you stir in the crumbled bacon or sprinkle it on top. You can do the same with the broccoli.

'Cause we all know, everything is better with bacon!

What are you cooking?

3 comments:

Hoots Momma said...

Happy Thanksgiving Aleesa and family! It sounds like you'll have lots of yummies!! We have much to be thankful for don't we? I am thankful you guys joined small group! See y'all Sunday. We're headed to Dallas today to be with my family.

Suzy J said...

Wow... you put me to shame :) I'm not cooking. We are going to my BIL and they are buying all the food pre-made. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

i can't believe the snow here, they have already had over a foot of snow. It's suppose to get in tbe single digits tonight. We went to eat and it started snowing, it's still snowing at this time. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Of course I will be singing a different tune if it's like this next Tuesday when I fly out. You are right, who would believe six years ago I would be where I am today. What an awesome GOD. There is such a thing as miracles!
Anyway, I am making squash casserole and Earnie and Chrissy are cooking the rest. Love ya'll, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!