Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is one of my favorite holidays; I can't decide between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think I prefer Thanksgiving because there is not so much "hoopla" and commercialism like there is with Christmas.

This Thanksgiving is extra special for me and my family. This is the third anniversary of my mom's heart surgery. For those of you who do not know, my mom has had heart problems her whole life. She had open heart surgery when I was six months old, later had a pace-maker, and then had a heart attack when I was 17. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and other things and was told to expect a heart and lung transplant. Actually, my mom was told to abort me because she wouldn't make it, and when she did survive, they said that she wouldn't live to see me graduate. My mom has tremendous faith and trusted that the Lord would take care of her and sure enough, he did.

Well, 3 years ago she was very very sick and almost died twice. Her organs were starting to fail and her heart was worn out. To help you understand how bad her heart was, a normal heart is the size of a fist, my mom's was about 4 times the size! The doctors were running out of options because she refused to get a transplant (and at her age, I don't blame her). Her doctor got in touch with a phenomenal cardiologist at Baylor and they decided to replace her heart valves and repair the hole in her heart. She didn't really want to have the surgery, but I was 5 months pregnant at the time and showed her an ultrasound picture of her grandson named Matt. She says that is what helped her to make up her mind to undergo the surgery.

On this day three years ago, my brother and I followed her into the pre-op room and said our goodbyes for the moment. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it was goodbye for the next few hours or the rest of my life. It was one of the most difficult moments of my life. However, my mom had an amazing attitude and said she would win either way: either the surgery would be a success or she was going home with the Lord.

All I can say about those next couple of hours is that I have never prayed and talked to the Lord so much in my life. I literally felt like he was holding me in his hand. Thinking back now, it was one of the most peaceful feelings I have ever had.

The surgery was a success, in case you hadn't figured that out. I am so thankful that my mom had the faith to listen to the Lord and obey him. I am thankful that she is here, that she was able to be with me during Matt's birth, she is here to spoil Matt, and that we are celebrating this wonderful day with her.

Happy Heart Anniversary mom and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I love you and am thankful for everyone of you!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that she is here for you. It is amazing how a girl needs her mom... especially after having a little one! Hope that you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

AMEN ALEESA!!!
I WAS RIGHT THERE WITH YOU AND I
THINK WE ALL PRAYED HARDER THAN
WE EVER PRAYED IN OUR LIVES. IT
WAS SO STRANGE HOW A FEELING OF
SUCH A PEACE JUST SEEMED TO COME
OVER ME AND I KNEW THE LORD HAD
HEARD MY PLEA TO NOT TAKE HER
FROM US. YOU SAID IT ALL AND PUT
IT IN THE RIGHT WORDS BETTER THAN
THAN I COULD EVER HOPE TO.
SHE IS A WALKING MIRACLE OF THE
AMAZING WORK OF THE LORD.
I AM SO BLESSED TO HAVE MY SISTER
WITH ME TODAY AND I THANK GOD
THAT WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN TIME TO
BE THANKFUL FOR THE LOVE OF FAMILY
AND FRIENDS ON THIS DAY. HOPE YOU
HAD A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING.
THERE IS POWER IN PRAYER!!!
LOVE YA'LL
AUNT BETTY



HER LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER HEALTH-
WISE AND HER FAITH NEVER WAIVERED.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, what would we do without "Insane AUnt Pat" and her stick that she used on American Idol?!?!? Your mom is a gem!

I am thankful for my friend Aleesa! We are so lucky to have an Aunt Yes, Uncle Rich, and bestest fend Matyou!

Anonymous said...

I thank God daily for giving me more time to be with those I love.What a blessing to be there to see my grandson born and have all this time with him. Seeing his sonogram and knowing his name was the reason I finally decided to let God do his job, without me telling him how to do it. I couldn't lose. It's true the Prayer is powerful. mom

Partieof6 said...

WoW! What a blessing and amazing testimony to share about prayer, faith and thaksgiving. Incrediable!