Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Central Market

I experienced Central Market for the first time today.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

What took me so long?? That store is amazing! It's a lot like Whole Foods, but it might be a little better. Gasp! Hmm, I don't know, that's a pretty strong statement. It's a least on the same playing field as Whole Foods. The thing that I loved the most were the samples. You can pretty much eat your way through the produce section (which is amazing), meat section, bakery, soup counter, olive bar, bulk section, and whatever else you want.

Of course, I ended up with a bizarre mix of groceries: good olive oil, three different kinds of chocolate bars ( including one with caramel and Fleur de Sel), loose tea, coffee, broccoli rabe, and a variety of citrus. The really odd purchase was chocolate covered almonds that look exactly like green olives; these were for Richard. I'm sure everyone has that on their shopping list.

I don't know why, but every time I go to some kind of fancy-smancy grocery store, I always end up buying a bunch of chocolate. So what about you? Have you been to Central Market and what's your fancy store weakness?

4 comments:

Suzy J said...

seeing as we are HEB people I like Central Market. My weakness is the bread... but I'm a carb whore :) What I didn't like is for being all organic the meat selection didn't have grass fed beef and other organic meat that I perfer to get. But its easy to spend a pretty penny there. But if you like olive oil and other good for you oils like grape seed or walnut oil go to Marshall's... you will be surprised!

Jana said...

Love Central Market! We need to plan a trip back....it's been to long. Josh and I just wonder around from aisle to aisle, it's a great date!

Aleesa said...

Marshall's, I will have to remember that Suzy. Thanks. Oh and the bakery was unreal. I think I sampled 5 or 6 different breads. Then I topped it off with a sample of poblano corn chowder :)

mandi said...

Girl- I must ask the same question- what took you so long!?!

Fancy grocery store weakness- cheese and bread. Sigh...

I love caramel and salt- so yummy! When I was in San Francisco with my sister last year we went to an ice cream parlor that makes their own ice cream out of all organic ingredients. The 2 flavors I could live on the rest of my life were a salted caramel and lavender. I can hardly breathe right now- I'm so excited thinking about it!