Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Haiti: Beauty

Thought I would brighten things up around here since my posting has been a little on the sad side. I don't want you to get the idea that Haiti is all ugly and gloomy because it is not. Yes it is impoverished and needs an obscene amount of help, but the country and the people are beautiful.


When you get outside of the city it is beautiful. There are gorgeous mountains, lakes, and foliage. I think the thing that amazed me the most were the clouds.



This was the view from one of the balconies. On the other side of the mountain on the right is Port au Prince.

However, look what happens when the clouds begin to roll in.
















Finally, this is the same view when you are fully enveloped in a cloud.


Pretty amazing isn't it? Even cooler, is when you are standing inside of a balcony doorway and the clouds blow through the house.


Here are some more beautiful photos.




Don't forget the people. I think they are absolutely striking.


Another picture of the beautiful Ruth. I would take this little girl in a heartbeat.



I love this photo of the oldest man in our group (who made us "young'ns" look like wimps) with a local man at church.


This is one of our translators/bodyguards Jean Marc. He ALWAYS had a smile on his face and loved to joke. On the long bus ride back from Canez, we taught him brilliant American knock-knock jokes.This beautiful young mother lives in some of the poorest conditions on Earth and you would not guess it from the smile on her face. I think a few of the guys were quite smitten with her. Finally, this is one of my all time favorite pictures.

This is Madame Jako and her grandchildren. Madame Jako is a 70 year old widow who loves the Lord with all her heart! She lost her home in the earthquake. Over the past couple of months, Brent's teams have been building her a new home. A group from our team went to paint her new house and deliver two rocking chairs. Richard said when they arrived she began dancing around and singing praises to the Lord. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone here praising the Lord for new paint.
OK. So I lied. I have one more favorite. This is Brent and Mme. Jako laughing together. Two very beautiful people. This might be my favorite. Brent is quite the comedian, so I cannot even imagine what he is telling her.

No comments: