Remember when I mentioned that Matt got scared on the Stitch ride at Magic Kingdom? Well, that was an understatement.
He was pretty much traumatized. You can read about the ride here. Seems pretty harmless except I missed the part that says "may be frightening to young children" and "madcap show for big kids, teens, and adults". I think I only saw "fun for everyone". Oops.
In a nutshell, you are strapped into a seat that has speakers, air jets and water jets around your head (but you do not know this) and the lights go COMPLETELY out while the alien Stitch is running around destroying everything in the room and messing with you. Are you getting the picture? Can you guess what happened?
Matt freaked out. The lights not only went out but the little critter was breathing on his neck, spitting in his face, and bouncing on his seat. I felt horrible and like the worst parent in the world. He did survive and, oddly enough, became obsessed with Stitch.
After this ride, he refused to go into another building. He wouldn't even go on Buzz Light Years Space Ranger Spin and I know he would have loved it! He rode Stitch's Great Escape about 2 in the afternoon and the only other attractions he did was the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and the Jungle Cruise. He even got scared on the Jungle Cruise when we entered the dimly lit cave.
The next day at Hollywood Studios, he only did the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, Back Lot Tour, and Jedi Training Academy because they were outside. At EPCOT on Sunday we finally convinced him to go into the Seas building and he rode Nemo and Turtle Talk with Crush (which is super cute). When we got in line for Soaring, he tried to convince us to get out of line but I said no way (it's the best attraction at Disney!) At this point, he was finally feeling brave again and he agreed to ride Journey into the Imagination with Figment. It took much convincing and promising by mom that it was not scary. We even asked before we sat down in the car if it was scary and dark and they assured us it was not.
Well, guess what. According to Matt, they lied. It was not scary but it did get dark and was very loud. He got off that ride very unhappy with me. Of course, after that episode, no more buildings that day either.
On Monday, we concluded with Universal Studios Islands of Adventure.( If you are a coaster junkie, this is a must do in Orlando. The Hulk is A-Ma-Zing!) Matt had a great time and enjoyed his first roller coaster and log ride. While we were waiting for he and Rich to finish the log ride, I struck up a conversation with a dad who was also waiting for his kids. He told me about this great river ride that was not scary and didn't even go in the dark. You just got really really wet. I asked where and he pointed in the direction of the only boat ride I was aware of: Jurassic Park River Adventure. Matt got off the log ride pumped and agreed to ride with me because, once again, I promised it was not scary but it had a big drop like the log ride.
So. We hopped on board and began the fun little river tour. Half way through, the boat makes a sharp turn into the "restricted" area and Matt immediately spotted a building with an entrance large enough for our boat. Was he happy about that? Nope.
We enter the building and of course there are not lights. Sirens are flashing, things are exploding, and all you could hear was the deafening sound of a t-rex roaring.
It was awesome.
Not.
By this point, I told Matt to close his eyes and it would all be over in a minute. Then I remembered the huge drop. So amidst all the chaos, I look up ahead and realize we are floating toward a giant T-Rex and the drop is just below his head. I thought to myself he is going to flip out because it looks like that thing is going to eat us and then we are going to fall right after.
So I scream as fast as I can to Matt "Don't look but in case you do, there is a giant t-rex up ahead and he looks like he is going to eat you but he wont and then we have the big drop so hold on. Just keep your eyes shut!"
Here is what we were floating towards. I didn't take this by the way, Universal did :)

That's one bad looking dude. Especially to a 6 year old. Especially when you are sailing into his mouth. And especially when you plunge 85 feet down in the dark!
Poor Matt.
I came off that ride feeling like the worst mom ever!! I cannot begin to express how bad I felt for him. He was so made at me and the dad who told us about the ride.
You want to know the really stupid part of the story. I was confused and didn't realize there was another boat ride. The ride that the dad was telling me about was a raft ride featuring sweet little Popeye the sailor man.
That's right, we were suppose to ride Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barge instead of the Jurassic Park River Adventure! Talk about a mistake.
Needless to say, by the end of our vacation I felt like "Mother of the Year". I'm sure Matt would of had a few choice words to say at the award presentation. Even though there were some crazy moments, we still had a great time and made some amazing(and unexpected) memories.
What about you? Had any "mother of the year" moments lately?
1 comment:
Oh no! Listen, you did your best, and that's what GOOD mamas do, right?
It looks like you guys had a ton of fun! I can't wait for our turn to go!
here's my email:
mandiandjohn(at)sbcglobal(dot)net
Post a Comment