Friday, May 1, 2009

Down by the Bayou










Last Saturday we went to a crawfish boil at our neighbors'. They are from Baton Rouge, love to host neighborhood gatherings, and we LOVE going to them! They are an interesting combination because the wife is originally from the northeast and the husband is from Louisiana.

Did I mention that they use to run a family restaurant back in Louisiana? Let me just say that anytime our neighbor has his big black cast iron pots out, I am running over to see what's cooking. We have had the pleasure of eating real jambalaya, sauce piquant, and catfish to name a few things.

Anyways, they had a crawfish boil on Saturday and all I can say is oh my gosh! It was the best boil I have ever been to. I ate about 6 small platters of crawfish. At one point, Richard told our neighbor that it was the best crawfish he had ever had. Our neighbor responded with "you ain't never had a coonass cook for you!" At that, I just busted out laughing because the look on Richard's face was priceless.

Matt enjoyed the festivities. He played with the crawfish, but wanted nothing to do with putting the tails into his mouth. We tried bribing, withholding dessert, our neighbor fake crying, and comparing it to shrimp but he would not budge. Oh well, more for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told my grandson was smart. He knows where crawfish tails don't belong. The corn on the cob and new potatos look good.
m

Anonymous said...

sorry, you is suppose to be after told.

Shelby said...

I love me some crawfish! Tonight I am making a "diet" fudge recipe that uses brownie mix and 2 cans of pumpkin. It made me think of you.